Hot Weekend in San Francisco
This weekend is gonna be a hot one in San Francisco, and I am not just talking about the weather! Looking for some fun things to do?
- Friday the 13th at the Clay – Celebrate the eeriness of the date by watching the movie at the Clay. Their “After Dark” series will play the movie on both Friday and Saturday night, but on Friday, they have a special pre-movie live music act!
- North Beach Festival – This is my personal favorite of all the festivals, so I have a little bias. Held in North Beach, or “Little Italy,” this festival is full of fun art displays, music, food, beer, and hopefully some sunshine! The main stage is in Washington Square Park, which is right in front of the famous Sts. Peter & Paul Church. Grab some food and perhaps a beer, find a place on the lawn, and listen to music and people watch until your heart’s content. Then head over to the Green Street stage, where on Sunday, world-champion pizza tosser (and East Bay native) Tony Gemignani will show off his skills. Make sure to check out the bars in the area…places like Gino & Carlos and Columbus Cafe play hosts to the old locals who have made North Beach their home for generations. Get there early enough, they may treat you to a some delicious foccaccia!
- Bay Bridge Series – As you know, I am a sports fan. This weekend is the first Battle of the Bay, where the Oakland A’s take on the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park. This is definitely a good excuse to check out the ballpark, which was recently named by the New York Times as having the best ballpark food. I think the upper deck seats on the first base line/right field are the best; from them you can see the field, the entire ballpark, and a gorgeous view of the San Francisco Bay. If you have time, take a slide ride in the big Coke bottle!
- Chihuly at the de Young – The de Young Museum kicks off its latest exhibit, the works of glass artist Dale Chihuly, with entrance to the exhibit! Free and the de Young aren’t words you hear together often, so this is a great opportunity. There will also be music, family activities, and other art programming to enjoy.
- Stern Grove Festival – The Stern Grove Sunday series kicks off this week with Booker T. Jones and Bettye Lavette. Grab a blanket, a picnic, and head out for this free concert in a beautiful San Francisco park.
It’s a packed weekend here in San Francisco. Enjoy yourself!